Industry 4.0 (common spoken “industry four point o”) aka “Smart Factory”, is the digitalization of the production. It is seen as the fourth industrial revolution. The source of this term is German “Industrie 4.0”.
- The first industrial revolution was the mechanization. Characteristic is e.g. the steam machine, powered by steam and water.
- The second industrial revolution was the electrification. Characteristic is e.g. the assembly line, powered by electric current.
- The third industrial revolution was the electronification. Characteristic is e.g. the Programmable logic controller (PLC), interconnected via bus systems.
- The fourth industrial recolution is the digitalization. Charateristic are e.g. Cyber physical systems (CPS), interconnected via Cloud.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is one of the drivers of digitalization. Smart devices can be found everywhere. With the help of these, e.g. productions can be even more efficient and automated. Cyber-physical systems form the basis of industry 4.0. In addition, companies can make their products smart and participate in IoT. New business models can be developed. The Chief Digital Officer (CDO) in particular is being made responsible for this, or at least that is what they are there for.
See also (glossary Internet of Things (IOT)):
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP)
- Digital Twin
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
- Message Queuing Telemetry Transport (MQTT)
- Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)
The basis of a Chief Digital Officer (CDO) is to develop new business areas and business models. This is summarized under the 4.0 term world or Smart Everything.
See also (glossary 4.0):
- Business 4.0
- Banking 4.0/ Smart Banking
- Industry 4.0 / Smart Factory
- City 4.0 / Smart City
- Maintenance 4.0 / Smart Maintenance
- New Work / Work 4.0
- Smart Construction / Construction 4.0
- Smart Clothes / Textile 4.0
- Smart Farming / Farming 4.0
- Smart Garden
- Smart Grid
- Smart Living / Smart Home / Living 4.0
- Logistics 4.0
My name is Jan Puder (LinkedIn profile Jan Puder). I am the founder & CEO of the BusinessTech-Company. Me and the BusinessTech-Company want to push the digital frontier. This is the reason, why I started this website. I want to provide information about digital businesses, especially for Chief Digital Officers.
3D printing 5G Accelerator AI Artificial Intelligence Autonomous Driving Banking 4.0 Bitcoin Blockchain Business 4.0 CDO Chief Digital Officer Chief Information Officer CIO Content Hub Digital Digitale Strategie Digital Factory Digital Farming Digital Hub Digitalization Digitalization Hub Digital Lab Digital Strategy Digital Transformation Incubator Industry 4.0 Innovation Center Innovation Hub Innovation Lab InsurTech Hub IoT Mobility Networked Driving Smart City software Tech